Out of the mouths of babes...literally
While in Huntsville, I was able to catch up doing some of my very favorite things, one of which, is putting the little ones down for the night.
Ahhhhh, little Will (he's in the middle, turns 3 in January), my hunk-a-sweet-honey-lovin' Will....putting him to bed has it's own routine. Change the clothes, put on the jammies, read a book (or 10), sing songs, tuck in all of the toys and animals (and Will), go to bed. Wait! Did I say sing songs? I don't mean just any songs, folks. Will, even at three (almost), has a heart for music.....and not just any music. When we get to the part of the routine that includes the songs, I promise, it will always include "Jingle Bells" (all twelve months out of the year). But, there are always more songs that he has on his heart that need to come out. I truly mean it when I say "on his heart"--underneath the snails and puppy dog tails, little Will has a heart for praising the Lord in song. After the usual "Jingle Bells", I asked him, "what would you like to sing next, Will?" Without hesitation, he got that sweet little grin on his face and said " I wanna sing 'Beethoumyvizin', Sissy (that's me)" (translation: "Be Thou My Vision"). Before I could even start to sing it with him, he immediately began to belt out the words below:
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.
Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.
Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.
Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.
High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
At this point, I don't know whether to hug him or cry. This sweet little soul just proceeded to bless my socks off! He also humbled me at the same time. I'll have to confess...I know the song (somewhat), but nothing like the way that he knew it. Before I could fully recover, he came at me again...with that precious little grin...."Sissy, now I wanna sing 'Mazingwace' (traslation, "Amazing Grace"). I ask you, how could I stop him now? He then bellowed a very hearty performance of the first two entire verses of "Amazing Grace".
This little boy did more than just sing these songs to the Lord. He really made me take an introspective look at where my praise for the Lord is. Am I too busy to just sing a sweet hymn from my heart (not on a Sunday) to the One, My Lord, My Saviour, who graciously granted me salvation when the only thing that I truly deserved was death?
Labels: Kiddie Talk

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home