Thursday, January 15, 2009

Current Events Wrap Up Meme--Indiana Investment Advisor Fakes Death in Alabama /Florida Plane Crash

Marcus Schrenker

It was just this week that our little corner of the South made national headlines when Indiana investment advisor, Marcus Schrenker, sent out a distress call from his plane stating that the windshield had exploded and that he was covered in blood. What he failed to mention on that dramatic distress call was that he had parachuted out of the plane and was on the way to his "escape route" in an effort to avoid indictments relating to financial planning schemes gone bad. Authorities have successfully captured Mr. Schrenker who is now listed in fair condition as of Wednesday mornining. For, you see, if it weren't enough that he attempted to fake his own death and become a fugitive from justice, Mr. Schrenker decided to slash his wrists prior to his capture. The authorities were actually able to get him into custody and into a hospital before he took his own life.

As I read stories like these and see them broadcast nationwide into almost every home, I have to admit that I'm just a mixture of different emotions. I'm dumbfounded, I'm bewildered, I'm fascinated....and probably several more. It's just hard for me to understand how someone's mind can work in such a way that this elaborate scheme (although in his case, not well planned) can be contrived by one human being. Living in the light of the Lord and knowing that I have eternal salvation and will spend all of eternity with Christ, I just can't comprehend what it would feel like to be that far away from the Lord. Granted, there have been times in my life when I was not walking closely with the Lord and didn't make the best of decisions. But being a born again child of God, it makes me sad to see that there are so many people, like Mr. Schrenker, who become so desperate to escape their circumstances that they would crash a plane, leave in an escape vehicle and then slash their wrists. I pray that Mr. Schrenker will come in contact with someone along this path in his life that will share the gospel of Jesus Christ with him and that he will repent, turn from his sins and be saved.  As I have had to remind myself many times over, no matter what another person does, Christ still went to the Cross for them as well.  I pray that those like Mr. Schrenker would come to know a saving relationship with the Father.  Please keep Mr. Schrenker's family in your prayers as they try and sort out the details of what has just turned their entire lives upside down.





Photobucket

Photobucket

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Julie Arduini said...

I'm so glad you participated AND did this story, I wanted to do it as well. You did a better job than I could have.

I'm struck by a couple things when I hear more about it. The picture they keep showing with him and his wife, they are standing by a luxury car and plane---things.

I also think of how much worse this could have turned out had that plane crashed in a residential area.

I pray this man finds hope amidst the chaos. My heart aches for his family and I pray the media leave them alone.

January 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

This man needs our prayers.

January 18, 2009 at 3:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home