The Surprise of Christian Marriage (A Marriage Monday Article)

It didn't take me long to decide what "surprises" that I would write about when I read the topic for "Marriage Monday". Since Rob and I married about two and a half years ago, I think I can safely say that there have been two suprises that have happened which I would most definitely consider to be "major" surprises. I have written a little about each of them here and there on this blog, but I will revisit them for the sake of this article.
The surprise of SURGERY:
The first "surprise" to us in a very new Christian marriage was finding out that Rob would need a hip replacement due to his arthritis. In the months following our wedding in November of 2006, Rob's arthritis began to take a ver scary turn. He was in constant pain--all the time--pain so intense that I could see him almost tear up at different moments when it was almost too excrutiating to make the simplest of movements. In February of 2008 we were told that his right hip would most definitely need to be replaced, and if it were not, there would be no doubt that it would break. The news of this was something that neither of us could have ever expected. In fact, the element of surprise at the need for surgery was HUGE. When Rob went to the doctor that day, all we were prepared for was that the physician would probably give him another injection, as he had experienced so many times before. GOODNESS!!! Were we ever WRONG! We went from zero to surgery in less than 60 seconds. It was really hard to take....especially for Rob. But, looking back now, it was the best surprise we could have had, considering that he woke up from surgery "pain free". There is no doubt that we were both scared to death. But now, we both know that it was worth every minute of surgery, recovery and rehab. The Lord has even allowed other people to come into Rob's path who are within his age range (41) and are in need of a hip replacement. He has been able to give so much encouragement and insight, which has been a blessing to others.
The Surprise of FAMILY:
I would have to tell you that the greatest surprise in our marriage came this past October. Rob had not see his father since he was about 5 years old (There are MANY gaps of information to fill in here, but I will save that for another time). Rob had really tried to find his Dad over the years, but technology in the past is not what it is now. He had really sort of given up on the idea. Flash forward to 2008....Rob really began to feel a burden to find his Dad, regardless of the final outcome. After finding a few key pieces of information, I began to dig on the internet one night, in hopes that in some way, I could help Rob in finding his Dad. With a few clicks of a mouse, and in less than about 30 minutes, I had found who I believed was Rob's real father! As a wife and as a daughter, my flesh wanted Rob to pick up the phone that very minute and try to call. There were several names on a list that I came up with, but I had narrowed it in a way that I knew that one of these had to be the right person. But, it was Rob's struggle. The Lord just said "give it to him and let him do it". As wives, sometimes we just want to protect them and to try and make the final impact easier on them. I just wanted to pick up the phone and try myself....to try and prevent a blow to Rob, if there was going to be one. But again, the Lord just impressed me to "let HIM do it". So, I did. I was actually out of town one weekend, which happened to be the weekend of his Dad's birthday (he did know the right day). So, while I was gone, Rob picked up the phone, on his Dad's 61st birthday, and called him. That was in October.....and the rest is history. There has been a complete restoration of the relationship. There is total forgiveness...and better yet, we have gained an INCREDIBLE family throughout the process. It was also another miracle that when we found his Dad and Stepmother, we found them to be born again believers and followers of Christ. God blessed us more than we could have ever done on our own. This was the greatest surprise that we could have ever encountered in our marriage so far. God has been SO good to us....to all of us. Not only did Rob gain his Father back, but an incredible Stepmother, a sister, a brother...and all of their families as well. And I gained a mother and father in law, which prior to this, I didn't have either. I cannot express in words just how much they mean to both of us and how much we both love them. This entire journey that we have been on in the search and in the reunion was bathed in prayer....before, during and after. If you have ever doubted if God could move in your marriage....in any situation, I am here to tell you that HE CAN. Rob was without his Father for 36 years. Both of them had been praying over the years. His Stepmother had been praying. My Mom had been praying from the minute she found out the story of Rob's family. And countless others prayed as well. I am here to tell you that "the prayers of a righteous man availeth much". If you are ever at the point of giving up on prayer....DON'T. You may be missing out on the greatest surprise blessing that the Lord could have ever bestowed on you....I promise.
***The Wife's Disclaimer: All Marriage Monday articles (or any posts regarding The Husband) posted by The Wife have been previewed and preapproved for posting by The Husband.
Labels: Marriage Monday Articles


11 Comments:
Wonderful testimonies to the hand of God leading your marriage. Thank you for sharing.
I am glad you shared your surprise blessings. Rob's story while different than mine, has the same outcome. When I turned 40 (8 years ago) God started moving in my life to deal with my past. Unlike Rob, I had a relationship with my father and in some ways, that made it harder. It's one thing to feel distance but feeling neglected heaps on more rejection.
I did a Bible Study (In My Father's House)that taught how as women, our perception of our Heavenly Father is shaped by our relationships with our earthly fathers. The culmination of the study was an exercise that liberated me from my past. I had to write a letter to my father and be totally honest with him about how I felt, why I was so incredibly angry and so on. I then shared it with my husband Dave who, for the first time, had insight as to why I had been so insecure all of my life. We were instructed then to NOT send the letter.
An amazing thing happened! God flooded me with His mercy and grace in such a way that I felt waves upon waves of forgiveness and compassion towards my father. By the way, he had become a Christian when I was 16 but the gulf was so wide between us that I wasn't ready to try and span it. For years, he wanted to restore our relationship but wisely prayed and left it to God's timing.
I know without a shadow of a doubt, that I have been delivered from the bitterness and anger that was squeezing the life out of my soul, stealing my joy. Out of all of my father's children (there are 9 of us by 3 different wives) I am the one he is closest to, spiritually. I could never in my wildest dreams, have envisioned our relationship and the closeness we now share. I have come a long way since telling my husband that, "If something ever happens to me you'd better wait until I am cold and in the ground before you tell my father! I don't want him anywhere near me! Living or dead!"
THAT is major bitterness! I am thankful that God has not "just" saved my soul and placed my name in His book of life but that he has given me wholeness, health and restoration in the here and now!
Connie
I enjoyed reading about the surprises and blessings of your marriage. I especially loved and learned from the lessons of sometimes we have to let God do His work! Thanks for sharing.
Such a great post.
Hello, Wife of Rob,
This is amazing... Amazing. This kind of restoration just shouts of Jesus at work in the background. I am so glad you chose to write about it today.
It is also a pleasure to meet you. I can see your heart through your words. Wish I could see with you over a cup of tea. Thank you for sharing this powerful story with me and everyone at Marriage Monday. Have a blessed week. Love and hugs, Lynn
Wow, those are major surprises in your short marriage! Bless you for sharing all the details, and may God continue to bless your relationship.
Thanks for joining us for Marriage Monday today. :~D
Thank you all for your precious comments and encouragements. You all mean a great deal to me and I enjoy knowing you ladies as "blog-o-sisters"!!! I would love to meet each and every one of you!!
Lots of hugs,
The Wife
How wonderful is the love of the father.
funny this my word verification is
cupfl
as in it overflows
I noticed your wife of a liberty student on the left side. I have some nephews that have attended and are attending there. VanWingerden's, maybe you know one or two or all of them!
Thanks for your write.
This was just such a wonderful post! How awesome that you shared all of this. Thank you for sharing your story....
Thanks for sharing this personal story! It is definitely a great reminder of the love and power of God.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home