Saturday, February 7, 2009

Frugal Friday--Pumpkin Granola Muffins and Handcream--what a combo!



I am a little late getting it together this week. It's been extremely busy. I'm behind o n everything....laundry, housework, cooking, emails, you name it....I'm behind on it! So, Frugal Friday is just a few hours over due. My Frugal Friday tasks will actually take place on Saturday! I am going to make some of Joanne Heim's (The Simple Wife)Pumpkin Muffins and also some homemade handcream. 

For the muffins, I thought I would add a little crunch, since I LOVE a good crunchy and crusty muffin top.  I have some really great organic pomegranate and cherry granola that I thought might be great sprinkled on top of the hot muffins, just for a little crunch.  I'll try and snap some photos and get them posted to that you can see how they turn out with the granola.  I'll probably have to paste it just a little with some butter and a couple of teaspoons of brown sugar, but I'm sure it will work out. 

Here is Joann's recipe for the muffin:

Pumpkin Muffins
4 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
6 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 cups milk
1 can pumpkin (use the big Libby's can)
3/4 cup butter, melted
3 eggs


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix all ingredients until dough forms. (Do not overmix or you'll end up with tough muffins.) Pour into greased muffin tins. Bake 20 minutes. Makes about three dozen muffins. (Here is where I improvise an add toppings.  There is no science here...just sprinkle on whatever you like.  It could be just oatmeal, or nuts....you name it, whatever strikes your fancy)

As for the handcream, I believe that Mom told me it was 2 parts baby lotion, 2 parts petroleum jelly and 1 part Vitamin E cream....whip up in the Kitchen Aid and put into pretty little jars.  I told her it would be good to try it with some other lotion bases, like Jergens Cherry Almond lotion, or even the lavender scented baby products.  It's not rocket science, so I'm sure being creative with it will yield some pretty cool outcomes.  I have used some that had been given to Mom...and I loved it.  It makes a really rich hand cream.  And now there are so many containers available...even at Walmart....you can get some cute little things to put it in and give it as gifts.  I'll also try and get some pictures posted once I have made some....you'll have to try it with some of your favorites and let me know what happens! 

What are some of your favorite homemade beauty products?  I would love to get some other recipes...I know Mom would love some too! 



Photobucket

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

Yummy recipe, and I love the idea of homemade lotions.

February 7, 2009 at 3:18 AM  
Blogger sailorcross said...

Now, this is a wonderful combination!!

The muffins sound absolutely delicious!! And that handcream--I'm going to definitely have to try this!! My hands get quite dry in the winter, and all the hand washing at work doesn't help matters!! I actually get cracks all along the end of my fingertips and thumbs--then trying to knit--OUCH!!!

But, this being petroleum jelly based might be just the answer!!

I'm going to give it a try!! We may start a whole new trend!!

Beth

February 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM  
Blogger Wife of Rob said...

Make sure and read my new post with a slight correction/tip on the handcream!

February 7, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home