Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cafe Chat-Preaching to Myself




I am so thankful for the accountability that has come from participating in Cafe Chat at the Internet Cafe Devotions site, sister site to Christian Women Online. Each week, we are challenged with some really great questions that for me, have been ones that have caused me to take a deeper look into my own spiritual life and spiritual growth.  It's so easy to get caught up in the "day to day" and put God on the back burner.  I am the chief of sinners here.  So, with that, our question for today, posed by Kim was:
On a scale of 1-10, with a 10 representing the strongest, rate how you do with reading and studying the Bible. Why did you rate yourself as you did?


If you are struggling with reading God’s Word, make a list of possible stumbling blocks.


Make a list of how we can grow closer to Jesus through the reading and studying of God’s Word.

I would have to rate myself at about a 5 right now.  I would have loved to have put down a 10, but I can't.  As I said earlier, it is so easy to get caught up in the "day to day", and that lends itself to putting the importance of scripture reading and study below the importance of other things.  This is the prime place where priorities are found in disarray.  When I say this, please look back at the title to my post.  I'm preaching to myself.  I cannot compare myself to anyone here, nor can I point a finger.  I can only look introspectively, which is where I find myself at a 5.    The list of stumbling blocks for me is relatively short, but they're still enough to divert my attention away from such a large priority.  


  1. My Spouse
  2. Work
  3. Television
  4. Miscellaneous Activities 
I know that when I am in the word consistently, I somehow find the time to work other things in, but for some reason, it never works in reverse.  This is a charge to myself to re-prioritize my daily activities and be a better steward of my time so that I can meet with the Lord and bathe myself in His word.  As for my list of how I can grow closer to the Lord through the studying of His word--it's pretty obvious for me.  1) It makes me a better wife, daughter, sister & aunt 2)  It makes me a better servant 3) It makes me a better leader at work to lead a large staff of employees.  I could probably write a very long list, but these are my top priorities.


Thanks for the challenge Kim!


Photobucket


Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

I appreciate your honesty dear, love you.

April 26, 2009 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

You are not alone! I could identify with some of your stumbling blocks and find myself struggling a bit for consistency in my time with God of late. I can feel it too - my spirit feels parched.

Thanks for this encouragement to get myself back to the Fountain of Life!

Hugs

April 27, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home