Cafe Chat....Happy New Year!!
If I haven't told you already, Happy New Year! I am just stunned that 2009 is already here and in full swing. It seems like the older that I get, the faster the time goes, as I'm sure it does for all of you as well.
I think that Kim at "To Know Him" has posed a great question for the Cafe Chat today. Today's question is "What is the most important truth/lesson you feel God taught you in 2008? How will that truth change your life in 2009?" Well, for me, I believe that in 2009, God has plainly said "child, Simplify". I can quickly complain to myself that Rob and I are out of room, yet when I look around, there are SO many things that are just "things" that could EASILY bless someone else who is less fortunate. I am so blessed to have a roof over my head, a fridge that needs to be cleaned out (because it has too much in it), ice cold air condition (we do live in the DEEP south), clothes, shoes, the sweet scent of my new "Berry Jam" Yankee candle burning nearby while I type this.....the list could go on forever....you get the point. In Ecclesiastes 2:4-11, the Lord tells us:
Ecclesiastes 2:4-11 (New King James Version)4 I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards. 5 I made myself gardens and orchards, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made myself water pools from which to water the growing trees of the grove. 7 I acquired male and female servants, and had servants born in my house. Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me. 8 I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces. I acquired male and female singers, the delights of the sons of men, and musical instruments[a] of all kinds.9 So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me. 10 Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, For my heart rejoiced in all my labor; And this was my reward from all my labor. 11 Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done And on the labor in which I had toiled; And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.
The first few passages sound like us....just too much "stuff". This is exactly what I want to change. I'm not saying that I want to get rid of everything in my house to the point that we don't have anything to sit on, but there are many things here that we can both stand to live without. I just started reading a great book by a wonderful blog-o-sister, Joanne Heim, titled "Living Simply: Choosing Less in a World of More". Joanne's book has really been the icing on the cake for me as I've been thinking about this need for "simplification" in 2009. Thank you Joanne for all of your wonderful insights and encouragement!
I pray that you will all have a wonderful new year and that you may also be able to find some room for some "simplification" in 2009!
Labels: Saturday's Cafe Chat


3 Comments:
Great post, and truly something to think about. We are so blessed and have more indeed that we could ever need. Quite often we are possessed by our possessions and the clutter they create in our spirits keep us form the closeness we could have with our God.
Simplify, simplify!!
I can easily say that I have what I need and just a little bit more. That is because I lost everything several years ago--including my house and my car--long story for another time.
But, life is so much simpler now. The possessions I do have are the ones that God has provided for me.
I'm not saying that we shouldn't have possessions and enjoy them. But, some people do get to the point where they idolize their possessions, and then therein lies the trouble.
Beth
So glad that you came by today to add me to your blogs you visit...
I think many of us, including myself need to simplify...
Will look forward to conversing via the blog with you more in 2009 :)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home